Join eOrganic and the Organic Farming Research Foundation for a webinar on November 30, 2023 about high tunnel vegetable production. It takes place at 11AM Pacific, 12 Mountain, 1 Central, 2 Eastern Time and is free and open to all. Please register in advance.
About the Webinar
Commonly used for season extension and the production of high-value crops, cost-effective high tunnel protected culture systems are increasingly recognized by organic growers for their many benefits to help overcome site-specific challenges. This webinar will present and discuss up-to-date findings and recommendations from a NIFA OREI funded research project with a focus on enhancing high tunnel organic vegetable production for the Southeast.
The interdisciplinary team included researchers and Extension experts from the University of Florida, Florida A&;M University, University of Georgia, and USDA-Agricultural Research Service. Integrated high tunnel organic crop systems and production practices were evaluated in Florida and Georgia to tackle challenges associated with crop management for season extension, environmental management for microclimate manipulation, soil health and nutrient management, and pest and disease management. We also assessed factors influencing high tunnel adoption among organic growers.
Related publication: Using High Tunnels to Enhance Organic Vegetable Production in Florida: an Overview
About the Presenter
Xin Zhao, Horticultural Sciences Department, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32611. Dr. Zhao is a Professor in the Horticultural Sciences Department at the University of Florida. Her position provides research and education programs in sustainable and organic vegetable production with the overall goal of improving and integrating environmental stewardship, crop health and productivity, food quality, and farm profitability.
- Marilyn E. Swisher, Family, Youth and Community Sciences Department, University of Florida
- Nicholas S. Dufault, Plant Pathology Department, University of Florida
- Amanda C. Hodges, Entomology and Nematology Department, University of Florida
- Zhifeng Gao, Food and Resource Economics Department, University of Florida
- Alejandro Bolques, Florida A&M University Research and Education Center
- Jesusa C. Legaspi, USDA-Agricultural Research Service, CMAVE
- Timothy Coolong, Horticulture Department, University of Georgia
- Juan Carlos Díaz-Pérez, Horticulture Department, University of Georgia