Organic Agriculture's National Resource for Farmers and Ranchers brought to you by eOrganic
This website, created by the eOrganic Community of Practice of the Extension Foundation (formerly eXtension), is for farmers, ranchers, agricultural professionals, certifiers, researchers and educators seeking reliable information on organic agriculture, published research results, farmer experiences, and certification. Our current content is focused on general organic agriculture, dairy production, and vegetable production. The content is collaboratively authored and reviewed by our community of University researchers and Extension personnel, agricultural professionals, farmers, and certifiers with experience and expertise in organic agriculture.
eOrganic was launched in 2009 by a group of researchers, Extension educators and others with expertise in organic agriculture, led by Alex Stone of Oregon State University, Michelle Wander of the University of Illinois, Jim Riddle, currently of Blue Fruit Farm, Heather Darby of the University of Vermont, Danielle Treadwell of the University of Florida, Micaela Colley of the Organic Seed Alliance and Mary Barbercheck of Penn State University-- along with staff members Deb Heleba, currently at NE SARE, Roger Leigh and John McQueen of Oregon State University, Ed Zaborski of the University of Illinois. We are grateful to the many authors, reviewers, researchers, educators, nonprofit staff members and farmer collaborators who have contributed their expertise and time to create our publicly available content.
- To present unbiased, science- and experience-based information in a variety of media formats.
- To share the most current, relevant and accurate information available.
- To be a reliable resource that is responsive to the changing needs of the organic industry.
- To foster communication and collaboration among members of the organic community.
eOrganic Tools You Can Use
- Articles: Our feature articles keep you up to date in this rapidly emerging industry and cover everything from the nuts and bolts of organic production for beginners to the latest information and technology for advanced producers. Find them all by topic at https://eorganic.org/
- Ask an Expert: Do you need an answer to a question but can’t locate the resource online? Then visit eXtension’s Ask an Expert tool. You submit specific questions which are then directed to eOrganic’s community of organic agriculture experts. An expert will reply to your request via email. Direct access to an organic expert is one of the many benefits of visiting eXtension.
- Videos: Short video segments highlighting the practices of organic agriculture are featured throughout eOrganic content. Watch producers and researchers demonstrate new and innovative cover cropping, reduced tillage, cultivation, soil management, pest management and marketing strategies for crops and livestock. Watch our videos, recorded webinars, and organic conference recordings on the eOrganic YouTube channel!
- Webinars: eOrganic has presented over 200 webinars on organic farming and research. Please see our schedule of upcoming webinars and our archive of previous webinars at https://eorganic.org/node/4942
- Research Project Websites: Learn about current and recent organic research projects on their websites hosted by eOrganic at https://eorganic.org/node/33845
- Courses: eOrganic members have created short courses on organic dairy production and organic seed production which are available at the eXtension Campus website at https://eorganic.org/node/10805
Funding and Partnerships with eOrganic
eOrganic was initially funded by NIFA Integrated Organic Program (IOP) and eXtension. Currently, we are funded by USDA NIFA OREI and ORG, as well as grants from other programs such as Western SARE. eOrganic is seeking additional funders. If you are interested in supporting eOrganic, please contact Alice Formiga at firstname.lastname@example.org. For information on partnering with eOrganic in a proposal, please go to http://eorganic.info/proposal
Please join us! If you have experience and expertise in organic agriculture and would like to join our community, contact us by joining eXtension and indicating your interest in joining eOrganic, and create an account at http://eorganic.info.