Friends and Colleagues,
The killings of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, Ahmaud Arbery and so many others have prompted us at eOrganic to acknowledge that we have done too little to advance racial justice and need to take immediate and long-term actions to further diversity, inclusion and equity on our website, in the educational resources we provide, and in the organic community.
The information resources on our public website about organic farming and research are available to all. However, the perception that we are doing good by promoting environmentally beneficial farming practices does not relieve us from our responsibility to fight for racial equality. The organic movement has a long way to go until access to land and clean water, fresh, healthy food, farming, government and private loans and assistance programs, grant funding, farm and scientific conferences, Extension educational events, and organic certification, are equally available to Black, Indigenous, and all people of color. Many of the Land Grant Universities where some of our community members work must also do more to confront racism in their histories.
Inspired by the many voices protesting systematic racial inequity, eOrganic stands in solidarity with the Black Lives Matter movement and pledges to do the following in the coming year:
- Actively engage in anti-racism and social justice trainings
- Reach out to organizations that serve Black, Indigenous, and other farmers of color to distribute our educational resources
- Publish articles and conduct webinars that raise awareness about Black, Indigenous, and other farmers of color, promote organizations and resources that serve them, and help to break down barriers to racial equity in organic farming.
- Translate more of our most widely used resources into Spanish
- Diversify our leadership team
We encourage each of you to join us in this essential effort--in your hometowns, states, or at a national level. We look forward to working with you all to build a better tomorrow.
Alice Formiga, eOrganic Director on behalf of the eOrganic Leadership Team